Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

Quoting Bob Bernstein (poobah@ruptured-duck.com):
> Maybe it's me; I'm not as spry as I used to be, but I am having
> difficulty following you.

Ditto

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
>
> >dc_smarthost='smtp.suddenlink.net::587'
>
> That looks fine to me, if the syntax for specifying a port is
> correct for exim (I simply don't know one way or t'other.)

Syntax is correct. I've not tried that port. Must do so sometime.

> I don't see there is any connection between the fqdn of your
> smarthost -- which exim needs in order to know _where_ the desired
> smarthost lives -- and whatever is going on with your username(s).
> The smarthost provided by your DSL provider (iirc, you said it's
> DSL, yes?) should accept whatever you send it, since you are both on
> the same wire. (h/t David)

Don't rely on it. When I was on BT's Fibre to the Cabinet, I needed to
use the email address and password (both supplied by them) to submit
emails to their smarthost. (I think the only emails I ever received on
that address were BT's T&C changes. I certainly never used it for myself.)

Cheers,
David.