Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

	I am trying to get a debian squeeze system to pull mail
from my cable provider's pop3 server. It appears they are not
doing anything really out of the ordinary but I obviously have
something set wrong.

	Here is a short snippet from their instructions for
using pop:

   Incoming Mail Server: pop.suddenlink.net
   Incoming mail port: 110
   Incoming mail port (SSL): 995

end of snippet

	It all starts out OK:

fetchmail: 6.3.18 querying pop.suddenlink.net (protocol POP3) at Wed Jul  8 21:23:25 2015: poll started
Trying to connect to 208.180.40.196/110...connected.
fetchmail: POP3< +OK InterMail POP3 server ready.
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< RESP_CODES
fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE NEVER
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Openwave Email vM.8.04.03.20 201-2389-100-164-20
fetchmail: POP3< 150330
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: pop.suddenlink.net: opportunistic upgrade to TLS failed, trying to continue.
fetchmail: POP3> USER martin.mccormick
fetchmail: POP3< +OK please send PASS command
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *

I do have a password set in .fetchmailrc and am fairly sure it
is good but where does the SSL come in? Any attempt to start a
session using SSL port 995 instead of 110 only causes a hung
session for about 5 minutes followed by a socket error. The
system does have secure ssl and does appear to work with https
links.

	Any Suddenlink users here who have gotten a successful
.fetchmailrc to work?

	I did try the fetchmailconf program on a X terminal and
never got it to work so I may simply be missing a command.

Thanks for all constructive suggestions.

Martin McCormick