Re: Fetchmail may almost be working in pop3.

On 20150708_2203-0500, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
> 	I am trying to get a debian squeeze system to pull mail
> from my cable provider's pop3 server. It appears they are not
> doing anything really out of the ordinary but I obviously have
> something set wrong.
>
> 	Here is a short snippet from their instructions for
> using pop:
>
>    Incoming Mail Server: pop.suddenlink.net
>    Incoming mail port: 110
>    Incoming mail port (SSL): 995
>
> end of snippet
>
> 	It all starts out OK:
>
> fetchmail: 6.3.18 querying pop.suddenlink.net (protocol POP3) at Wed Jul  8 21:23:25 2015: poll started
> Trying to connect to 208.180.40.196/110...connected.
...snip
> Thanks for all constructive suggestions.
>
> Martin McCormick

At the time of my posting there has developed a volumous branching thread
about trying to configure exim that seems to be making progress only very
slowly. I haven't read all of it, so if buried somewhere in there is
information which renders my suggestion un-constructive, please accept my
apology.

I use msmtp, not exim, even though exim comes already installed by
Debian.  Msmtp has its own tiny config file which can be located at
~/.msmtprc You can put there whatever you need to satisfy you ISP and
have no fear of exim mucking about with it. Of course, don't remove
exim once you see msmtp working. That would break you Debian
installation. Msmtp is a package in the main branch of all Debian
repositories.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon