Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

Op Mon, 06 Jul 2015 20:12:10 -0400, schreef Marc D Ronell:

> I am  working toward  teaching a free  introductory class to  teens on
> GNU/Linux  and the  philosophy of  free  software at  the Newton  Free
> Library in MA this coming September.
>
> For the class, the participants  will need access to GNU/Linux.  After
> reviewing   some  options,   including   sdf.org,  virtual   machines,
> Chromebooks,  etc.,  I  am  considering just  asking  participants  to
> purchase a dedicated  laptop and installing the OS.  I  may be able to
> direct students to install fests  in the area before the class starts.
> I am  not sure that this is  the best idea, but  it offers significant
> advantages including a potentially working  box as part of the results
> of the course.
>
> As a test, I purchased  a laptop (Toshiba Satellite C75-B7180) on sale
> for $350  at our local Microcenter  in Cambridge and was  able to load
> GNU/Linux  for my  son.  I  am  thinking of  working some  programming
> assignments in Squeak (Smalltalk), but  maybe C is a better choice for
> an OS class?
>
> Has  anyone tried  running a  GNU/Linux  intro class  for teens?   Can
> anyone  share their  experiences, thoughts  or  suggestions?  Feedback
> based on actual experience would be most helpful, I think, but I would
> appreciate any insights.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts,
>
> Marc

If it's an intro class to Linux, I would expose them to the system first,
install later. If so, then it could suffice to setup a VPS server and
make SSH accounts for the students.
You could then even have them make a ssh connection from a Windows box,
and with the help of Xming run graphical programs from their Win box.

It doesn't cost them any money, and it's easy to setup.
You could focus on teaching instead of installing. When they get the hang
of the system, you could always go with the laptop route.

As for programming assignments, C has a learning curve.
Python might be better suited, don't know about Smalltalk as I haven't
used it. You may want to focus on ideas and how to translate those in a
program, not fight with syntaxes.

Regards,
Bene