Re: Free GNU/Linux intro class for teens advice? Purchase box? Squeak/Smalltalk programming

On Jul 6, 2015 8:17 PM, "Marc D Ronell" <mronell@alumni.upenn.edu> wrote:

> As a test, I purchased  a laptop (Toshiba Satellite C75-B7180) on sale
> for $350  at our local Microcenter  in Cambridge and was  able to load
> GNU/Linux  for my  son.  I  am  thinking of  working some  programming
> assignments in Squeak (Smalltalk), but  maybe C is a better choice for
> an OS class?

I agree - no on the extra laptop. Virtualbox would be fine (a Pi might work too but then you've got to consider peripherals).

Smalltalk is fine but I'd go with pharoh. No on c too - too complex. Maybe teach js if you don't want Smalltalk. Don't teach bash either - too many edge cases and weirdness (when to quote, not being able to return date from functions properly, etc.

If you did ruby or js you could probably get help from a local group.

I would also teach the system separate from programming. They're both big topics and you'll end up overwhelming everyone (yourself included).