Re: Message at boot: `A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces'

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 10:44:29AM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all Debian users.
>
> On my old Pentium III, at boot, a message similar to:
>
>  A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces
>
> appears for some seconds, accompanied with a sort of red lightening.  In Google
> I saw some similar cases and they were solved commenting out particular lines
> in /etc/network/interfaces, but non of them is suitable for my case.  Here's my
> /etc/network/interfaces:

> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # my wifi device
> auto wlx14cc20116af7
> iface wlx14cc20116af7 inet dhcp
>         wpa-ssid my-ssid
>         wpa-psk my-password
>
> .  I wish that message disappeared.  Please help.

You have an interface configured to use WPA and DHCP. This *WILL* take a
few seconds. First, your adapter needs to find the Access Point,
establish a connection and authenticate using the pre-shared key. Only
once that link is established, can the DHCP sequence begin. This
involves broadcasting a request packet and then listening for several
seconds (this is repeated at varying intervals). Once an acceptable
acknowledgement packet is received, then hook scripts are run to set IP,
DNS, NTP etc. Only once they are done, can the interface be considered
"ready".

You MIGHT be able to hide the message for a little bit by setting the
interface from "auto wlx..." to "allow-hotplug wlx...". I believe this
will lower the priority of the interface such that it is not critical to
the booting of the system. "auto" tells the system that it must bring up
the interface (and any services that depend on networking will thus wait
for that to happen), whereas "allow-hotplug" says that the system MAY
bring up the interface when it appears (however, services that depend on
networking may or may not have an issue with only 'lo' being up).