RE: Installing glibc-2.21 on debian-8

> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 15:37:03 +0530
> From: dhirajbhor21@gmail.com
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 3:31 PM, claude juif
> <claude.juif@gmail.com<mailto:claude.juif@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you really need latest development tools, i suggest you to switch to
> Fedora 22. (glibc-2.21-5 and gcc 5.1.1). It will be easier and faster
> than trying to modify glibc stuff in Debian 8.
>
> Regards,
>
> I would like to but its a requirement and i have to do  it. No option.
> May be if i can patch the glibc with all security patches will be
> enough for me.

What exactly is the requirement? That you develop against latest libc
or that you deploy with latest libc? Because you mentioning security
patches makes me suspect it's the latter, in which case it's a seriously
bad idea to build your own. Are you going to subscribe to the CVE lists
and rebuild every security patch yourself? Have you factored the ongoing
maintenance cost of that in your project?

If it's only that your project needs to build against the latest glibc,
I recommend you start with an unstable buildroot (man debootstrap), and
install your latest libraries in there. You don't even need to develop
in the chroot, just develop on your own and run the integration tests in
the chroot.

Regards,
Arno