Re: Mixing 4 audio sources

On 07/02/2015 08:46 AM, Peter Huber wrote:
This is semi off-topic as it's partly a hardware question, but I don't
really know a better place to ask.
I have a hardware mixer on my desk to connect four sources of audio to
one pair of headphones. It's breaking, I need replacement, and I also
would like to free up the desk space it's taking, so I'm thinking about
mixing on my PC.
Is there a way to change what the jacks on my sound card do? Can I
somehow use 3 of the jacks as line-in while there is only 1 jack labeled
line-in? My Windows PC can do that with a peace of software that comes
with Realtek's driver, but I have no idea if that is a software or a
hardware feature, if Debian has the tools to do that as well, and if
only specific sound cards are capable of that. If it's possible, how do
I do it?
lspci identifies my current sound card as "C-Media Electronics Inc
CMI8738/CMI8768 PCI Audio (rev 10)", but I'd be fine with buying a new
one if that would help.

Reconfigurable audio ports on PC sound cards is a hardware feature that requires software to make it work. If your hardware supports this, has enough ports, and you can make it work under Linux, then you're done. Otherwise, you'll want a multi-channel audio capture device (USB, PCI, PCIe) supported by Linux.

The Linux Audio User mailing list is the place to seek help: