Re: RAID b/w GPT and NON GPT partition.

On 01/07/15 05:38 AM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Gary Dale a écrit :
On 30/06/15 02:17 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
What I would do is shrink partition 5 by 100M then create a new ef02
partition in the freed space.
Why on earth would you want to do such a dangerous and useless thing ?
As I wrote in a previous message, there is plenty of free space on the
disk to create a new BIOS boot partition of suitable size.
There is, but 2048 sectors is only 1M.
As previously written, 1 MB is plenty enough for a BIOS boot partition.
  It is not an EFI system partition nor /boot. It just contains GRUB's
core image for BIOS. The current size of this image is less than 50 kB
in the worst case, and I don't see it grow bigger than 1 MB any time
soon because it is also designed to fit in the 1 MB MBR gap for
MBR-style disks. GRUB's fancy and heavy stuff is kept out of the core
image, in /boot/grub or other places.

Besides, as previously written, there is a 500 GB unallocated space at
the end of the 2 TB disk so there is really really no need to shrink
anything.

Perhaps but most people using RAID like to keep the partition tables the same between drives. It makes it easier to identify problems and replace drives. The size of the RAID array is set by the smallest partition so if you want to be able to boot from either drive, then putting the ef02 partition in the free space on the new drive means that you will either not be able to boot from the old drive should the new drive fail, or you will have different partition tables on each drive. Neither situation is ideal.

Most, if not all, new drives have partition 1 at 2048. Using the space before it for an ef02 partition will either give you awkward partition numbers or require removing partition 1 and starting at 34.

Finally, if the disk was ever going to be used in a dual-boot situation with Windows 8 or later, or if you decide (or are forced to) switch to UEFI, you need 100M for UEFI. This is the recommendation from Microsoft's technet and others.

Trying to save 100M on a 2T disk just isn't worth it.