Re: a simpler printing question

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 18:27:52 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed 01 Jul 2015 at 08:47:43 -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 09:44:32 +0100 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Iceweasel is a GTK application.
> >
> > iceweasel and claws-mail seem to be linked against gtk-2.0 if you look
> > at the dependencies page.  I wonder if apps linked against 3.0 will
> > still look at the .gtkrc-2.0 file ?
>
> You are on the right track but there is a little way to go. Take the
> numerical part of that file, multiply it by 4, add 1 and get the square
> root of the result to one decimal place. No electronic devices such as
> calculators are allowed. The file is then .gtkrc-<result>. Without the <
> and > of course.
>
> I think evince uses gtk-3.0.

unclear at this time.  i copied the gtkrc file into the 3.0 director, and i did see the print choices in evince change.  but now they've changed back.

i straced it, and it's definitely not trying to open the gtk-3.0/gtkrc file, but it IS looking for settings.ini.

neither filename changes it's  "interesting" behavior.

it keeps showing a "port1" printer entry and i have no idea why it's doing that.

i think it's bad though, because if i click on it it says "retrieving printer information" and then appears to lock up.

i can always print to postscript and lpr it, so not a huge deal, but it's behavior is kind of odd.

Brian