(D7) Xsane not seeing HPAIO on local network segment

List, good afternoon,

We have an HP All In One (C7280, includes flatbed/ADF scanner) connected on a network segment (192.168.0/24) local to a laptop running Xsane (0.998) under Wheezy. Hplip contains the hpaio backend for Sane and is installed; /etc/sane.d/dll.d/hplip exists, and contains the single entry:
hpaio

The scanner has previously worked with Xsane across the local network but from a different machine; until recently it was used regularly from our earliest office server, running Xsane (0.997, I think) under Etch (Debian 4). Sadly, that machine has expired and temporarily I am using a Wheezy laptop to host Xsane.

When Xsane fails to find the scanner (that's the first thing it tries when it is started from the XFCE menu) it presents some helpful suggestions, which I've followed through; the scanner exists, is switched on, the backend has been installed via apt-get and is visible in /etc/sane.d/dll.d/hplip .

I've read man sane and I think that all the suggestions appropriate to a network connected scanner with a backend present seem to be fulfilled. I've tried setting /etc/sane.d/net.conf with, and without, the specific address of the HP device; no difference. I can ping the scanner from the laptop, so there are no network access problems on the laptop

I don't 'have to' use Xsane; I need to scan documents to PDFs and could do that from another package but, if I understand correctly, every utility will want to use Sane and its hpaio backend, so the scanner access issue would continue to arise, wouldn't it? I'd like to use Xsane, though, we're used to using it.

Can anyone suggest what else I might check?

Grateful for any suggestions,

regards, Ron