Re: (D7) Xsane not seeing HPAIO on local network segment

Hi.

Le tridi 13 messidor, an CCXXIII, Ron Leach a écrit :
> We have an HP All In One (C7280, includes flatbed/ADF scanner) connected on
> a network segment (192.168.0/24) local to a laptop running Xsane (0.998)
> under Wheezy.  Hplip contains the hpaio backend for Sane and is installed;
> /etc/sane.d/dll.d/hplip exists, and contains the single entry:
> hpaio
>
> The scanner has previously worked with Xsane across the local network but
> from a different machine; until recently it was used regularly from our
> earliest office server, running Xsane (0.997, I think) under Etch (Debian
> 4).  Sadly, that machine has expired and temporarily I am using a Wheezy
> laptop to host Xsane.
>
> When Xsane fails to find the scanner (that's the first thing it tries when
> it is started from the XFCE menu) it presents some helpful suggestions,
> which I've followed through; the scanner exists, is switched on, the backend
> has been installed via apt-get and is visible in /etc/sane.d/dll.d/hplip .
>
> I've read man sane and I think that all the suggestions appropriate to a
> network connected scanner with a backend present seem to be fulfilled.  I've
> tried setting /etc/sane.d/net.conf with, and without, the specific address
> of the HP device; no difference.  I can ping the scanner from the laptop, so
> there are no network access problems on the laptop
>
> I don't 'have to' use Xsane; I need to scan documents to PDFs and could do
> that from another package but, if I understand correctly, every utility will
> want to use Sane and its hpaio backend, so the scanner access issue would
> continue to arise, wouldn't it? I'd like to use Xsane, though, we're used to
> using it.

I am having a similar problem, on a continuously updated Testing. It
happened progressively: the scanner disappeared from different auto-detected
lists but stayed in others (like the XSane and xscanimage menu entries in
The Gimp, at one point one worked and not the other). I did not notice
exactly when, since most my uses are scripted. I noticed recently that it
has got down to the scanner not being detected at all, but still working if
I give the address explicitly, i.e.:

scanimage -d 'hpaio:/net/Photosmart_2570_series?ip=10.0.0.32'
xsane 'hpaio:/net/Photosmart_2570_series?ip=10.0.0.32'
xscanimage 'hpaio:/net/Photosmart_2570_series?ip=10.0.0.32'

It is still annoying for the few cases where I need a GUI because it is not
integrated with the image manipulation programs.

I have not yet had time to fully investigate, I will gladly read the other
replies to this thread. In the meantime, I hope the information that it may
work by giving the full address can be of some help.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George