Re: looking for a sound waveform viewer, but not audacity for reasons explained

Quoting Lisi Reisz (lisi.reisz@gmail.com):
> On Monday 29 June 2015 02:28:20 Richard Owlett wrote:
> > Dan Hitt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Could somebody please point me to a sound waveform viewer?
> > >
> > > I'm aware of audacity, which is of course a very fine piece of
> > > software.  But its function is more to edit than just to view.  So,
> > > e.g., if you open a sound file, then it wants to create a project, and
> > > when you want to exit you have to tell it not to save the project that
> > > it created.
> > >
> > > I would like to just have something that shows the waveform.
> > >
> > > Ideally it would do other tasks connected with viewing, such as being
> > > able to zoom to the sample level, give actual data readouts [sample
> > > value, time, etc], and play nice with other software.  So it would be
> > > nice, e.g., if you could pop it open at the command line and maybe
> > > even have it scroll to some interesting point.  (It would also be nice
> > > if it could play the wave form, but if it can't that's no deal
> > > breaker.)
> > >
> > > My vague recollection is that there used to be more than a dozen such
> > > viewers, but i can't seem to track any down now.
> > >
> > > TIA for any leads!
> > >
> > > dan
> >
> > Unlikely what you were recalling but I would recommend investigating
> > scilab, scioslab, and gnuplot
> >
> > They are EXPLICITLY tools rather than SOLUTIONS.
>
> And there are the answer to the question how?  He explicitly wanted a SOUND
> waveform viewer, with playing the sound a bonus.  I know Maths and sound are
> linked, but this seems going a bit far.

Well, it's in the list at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Waveform_Viewers-Plotting_Large_Analog_Data
which might be worth perusing (third hit when googling   interactive waveform plotting   )

Cheers,
David.