Re: RAID b/w GPT and NON GPT partition.

On 30/06/15 02:56 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Gene Heskett a écrit :
On Tuesday 30 June 2015 11:55:20 Pascal Hambourg wrote:
Actually GPT does not use *all* that space and GRUB could still find
out the available unused space. But the GPT partition table could grow
and overwrite the beginning of the bootloader, so I guess it was
considered safer and cleaner to create a dedicated partition type. I
agree with this point of view and wish such a type also existed for
MBR partition style.
And entirely admirable idea.  But how do you go about updating the bios
to do that in several Billions of older motherboards?
You don't need to update the BIOS. All a sensible BIOS has to do is load
the boot code in the MBR, regardless of the partition table style.

That's not true. I have a Dell laptop that needed a BIOS update after I switched it to GPT. It wouldn't boot without it. Fortunately the drive had the first partition starting at 2048 so converting to GPT was just a matter of running gdisk and writing the partition table back to disk.