Re: How do I find what drivers are installed

On 29/06/2015, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

<snip>

> Considering that Debian 6 came out in 2011 and the Haswell
> microarchitecture
> came out in 2013, I would say that the answer to the question is very
> likely
> no.

Right.

At
http://ark.intel.com/products/75119/Intel-Core-i7-4702MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz
is

"
Status   	Launched
Launch Date 	Q2'13
Processor Number 	i7-4702MQ
"

and

"
Processor Graphics ‡   	Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Graphics Base Frequency 	400 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 	1.15 GHz
Graphics Output 	eDP/DP/HDMI/VGA
Max Resolution (HDMI) 	3840x2160@60Hz
Max Resolution (DP) 	3840x2160@60Hz
Max Resolution (VGA) 	2880x1800@60Hz
DirectX* Support 	11.1
OpenGL* Support 	4.3
Intel® Quick Sync Video
	Yes
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology 	Yes
Intel® Insider™ 	Yes
Intel® Wireless Display
	Yes
Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI) 	Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology 	Yes
# of Displays Supported ‡ 	3
Device ID 	416
"

And at
http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/
is
"Debian 6.0.0 was initially released on February 6th, 2011."

And at
http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/
is
"Debian 7.0 was initially released on May 4th, 2013."

So the computer does not work properly (in terms of the graphics,
anyway) with either Debian 6 or Debian 7, and will not so work, unless
and until a new driver is created for it, for those operating systems,
so the computer will apparently work best with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS,
unless and until appropriate drivers are available for Debian 6 and 7.

So I guess that I now have to, after about two years, give up on
trying to get it to work with Debian 6 and 7; and, the problem appears
to be notsomuch with a lack of nvidia drivers, as with a lack of Intel
drivers.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale