Re: How do I find what drivers are installed

Le primidi 11 messidor, an CCXXIII, The Wanderer a écrit :
> Going by the PCI ID you posted earlier (from lspci output), and looking
> that ID up in the LKDDB, it appears that the kernel module for the
> graphics component of this chip is i915.ko:
>
> https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/DRM_I915.html
>
> On my system (tracking current testing), I have:
>
> $ find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -name i915.ko
> /lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
>
> So: yes, Debian has a driver for this integrated graphics controller.

This is doubly inconclusive.

First, the kernel bundles in the same module support for several similar but
not identical controllers. In other words, the i915.ko file you are
observing may very well be too old for this particular instance of an
i915-style video controller.

To know for sure, see if the alias shown by `modinfo i915` match the PCI IDs
of the controller.

Second, the kernel module is not enough of a driver, except for just a high
resolution text console. A X.org driver is necessary too. You did not check
for it. If you did in the same way you did for the kernel, you would have
found a file named intel_drv.so, with the exact same issue as the kernel
module and no modinfo to query the supported PCI IDs.

Considering that Debian 6 came out in 2011 and the Haswell microarchitecture
came out in 2013, I would say that the answer to the question is very likely
no.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George