Re: Please help with - it seems - no WiFi interface at all

On Sunday 28 June 2015 22:05:39 Ric Moore wrote:
> On 06/28/2015 04:26 PM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > The WiFi hardware on my machine should be Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, but
> > it is probably dead, because installing firmware-ipw2x00 had no effect.
> > But I have some other WiFi hardware, that I bought yesterday and that's
> > detected - so it seems - on wlan0 after installing firmware-realtek: it
> > is a wireless-USB adaptor, the TL-WN725N.  I've been googling to search a
> > proper driver for it, but the matter looks to be hard issue.  I also
> > found:
> >
> >   https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2013/10/msg0
> >
> > .  Any hint/help appreciated.
>
> How about burning a live-session CD or USB stick, and boot from it with
> your new adapter plugged in. See if it is detected and reaches the net.
> If it does, back up everything but system files, including the ones you
> have dinked with. Re-install fresh, being sure to wipe out your user
> directory as well. Nuke it all and include updates and non-free sources
> during the install. Afterward, do not hand edit stuff. Google is your
> friend, and sometimes not. IF your adapter runs from the live-session,
> then examination of the session will reveal how it worked.

Try it also with the on-board one:  first with the switch in one position,
then, if it hasn't worked, start again with the switch in the other.  Unless
it is much better labled than those switches usually are, it won't be
entirely obvious which way is "on".   You will then know, at least almost for
sure, whether it works.

Lisi