RE: aptitude full-upgrade bug?

> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:38:36 -0400
> From: garydale@torfree.net
>
> I've upgraded two machines [..] they failed to
> upgrade the kernel. [..]
>
> I suspect this could be because the meta-package linux-image-amd64
> wasn't installed, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense. Shouldn't
> a full-upgrade bring all the packages up to the current version?

That makes a lot of sense, actually. Linux kernel images are co-
installable, one version does not replace the other. So in order to
have an upgrade path for these packages, the metapackage
linux-image-$arch exists. If you don't have the metapackage, you
don't get new kernels.

This is not unique to the kernel, for example gcc, python and
postgresql follow the same method. However, in those cases, other
packages depend on the metapackage so you usually can't uninstall it.
The kernel is unique in that no package depends on it.

In any case, jessie should be able to boot with a kernel from wheezy
iirc. So there may be a bug lurking there, but it's not a bug in
aptitude.

Regards,
Arno