aptitude full-upgrade bug?

I've upgraded two machines from wheezy to jessie over the last month or so and noticed the same behaviour on both. In both cases they failed to upgrade the kernel. In both cases this left the machines unable to complete a boot and I had to use the systemV init option to get to a command line.

I suspect this could be because the meta-package linux-image-amd64 wasn't installed, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense. Shouldn't a full-upgrade bring all the packages up to the current version?

Has anyone else encountered this problem?