Re: CUPS error message, device already exists

On Fri 26 Jun 2015 at 22:22:25 -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> meanwhile i'm getting this too:
>
>  Failed to update TXT record for DCP8110DN @ server: -2
>
> I think i figured that one out.
>
> it can't get a hostname for the printer perhaps ?

Sort of. Avahi is trying to get a TXT record for a printer from cups.
But cups is ignoring avahi. Support for printer discovery with DNSSD
has much improved since Wheezy but at the time we had #706888:

> i put one into the server /etc/hosts file.  I'll see if that fixes it.

It won't.

If you are printing I'd not bother about it. Or remove avahi-daemon (a
Recommends: of cups). Or use only CUPS for remote and local browsing in
cupsd.conf.

The advice would be different if you were on Jessie.