Re: Boots into emergency mode. How to analyze?

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 01:54:56PM +0200, Matthijs Wensveen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running unstable / sid. Yesterday, I suddenly started booting into
> emergency mode and I'm unsure why. I had a hang the day before, right after
> a apt-get dist-upgrade, so it might be either one of those, or something
> else altogether.

I had a similar problem after a recent sid upgrade. Normal booting
lead to emergency mode.

I was able to get to a GUI by going into the "Advanced options for
Debian GNU/Linux" grub sub-menu and selecting the sysvinit version of
the kernel instead of the systemd default. I did have some very long
pauses in the init sequence, but I finally got to a graphic login.

It turns out the cause of the emergency mode was some cruft I had in
my fstab file, specifically a line containing "none /proc/bus/usb
usbfs devmode=0666 0 0". Commenting this out cured the emergency mode
problem. I'm not sure why this was in there in the first place, but a
google search suggests it was some sort of kludge to get an ancient
version of virtualbox to behave.

hth

dt

--
Dave Thayer / Denver, Colorado USA / dave@thayer-boyle.com
 Whenever you read a good book, it's like the author is right there, in