Re: Systemd files on a Raspberry Pi

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 06:27:16PM CEST, tomas@tuxteam.de said:

> My take is: I am a fan of Debian. I don't want systemd on "my" computer.
> Systemd is the default, and their proponents are no idiots and I assume
> good intentions. I accept that their viewpoint is as valid as mine.
>
> So it is (in part) on me to keep Debian without systemd a viable option.
>
> There are many dependencies on systemd (e.g. Gnome) which aren't Debian's
> fault. No problem for me, since I don't particularly care for Gnome, but
> perhaps there are other needs.
>
> As I see it, there are quite smart people on both sides of the debate
> and it seems best to try to get along instead of slinging accusations
> at each other (both sides have been very effective at that, and
> sadly, I'm not innocent in this either. I regret that).

My feeling is also that once you begin to ask for explanations (how or
why) it is considered by some systemd fans as a frontal attack, which it is not.

What is the use of this libsystemd0 you get even when systemd was
never installed ?

Where are migration tutorials, docs for people who did not develop systemd ?

To those questions I never got answers or even worse (like when I was
answered that I had to write the docs).

I still have a setting working without systemd that I do not know hoxw
to make with it. I still do not know what a mount unit is. I saw that
systemd can start daemons when a certain disk is mounted, I still look
how to do it, etc...

If I where to write a doc now it would be : this setting was possible,
systemd maks it impossible. Which is surely false, but given the info
I get, may become a reality.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

You have lot of docs here. From what i see, it's all about change. People were really comfortable with sysvinit (because they use it for age) and now they have to learn new things, change their habit, and it's kind of hard. But I guess that nobody will speak about systemd anymore in a year.

I'm a sysadmin working on Web stack (so very simple usage of Debian). I was first discouraged by systemd (i don't understand why you want changing something that is working well) but after some digging, and work on it, i'm very please with systemd. Journalctl is a great tool, service unit are great, and in some way easier to maintain than shell script.

Come on guys, systemd is not the hell you claim it is. Just give it a good try, with fair mind, and i bet you will be convinced.

Regards,