Re: minidlan, GMPC and MPD

On 2015-Jun-22 20:53, Proxy wrote:
> On 2015-Jun-22 18:34, notoneofmy wrote:
> > On 15-06-22 1:23 PM, Proxy One wrote:
> > > By default, it will send sound to it's local sound card (pulse audio or
> > > alsa). You can instead send that sound on some port as
> > > httpd type and stream it so it can be captured by some external
> > > application.
> > >
> > > audio_output {
> > >         type            "httpd"
> > >         name            "My HTTP Stream"
> > >         encoder         "vorbis"                # optional, vorbis or lame
> > >         port            "8001"
> > >         bitrate         "128"                   # do not define if quality is defined
> > >         format          "44100:16:1"
> > > }
> > >
> > > I used vlc and mplayer to listen that kind of stream on my computer.
> > >

> > > HTH
> > Thanks a lot for this, I will try it out. Where in the mpd.conf file
> > should I put this?
>
> You can put that anywhere in your mpd.conf
>
> > Have you used or tried GMPC, once you do, you might give up on vlc.
> >
> > Here's a link: http://gmpc.wikia.com/wiki/GMPC_FEATURES
> >
> > To be clear, I want to use GMPC, installed on my laptop, to control mpd
> > that is installed on the NAS. And so by doing this, listen to music on
> > my laptop. I hope this is clear now.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your input.
>
> You don't understand the concept. You can't just use GMPC. It's used to
> control the MPD, but it can't capture it's output (music you'd like to
> listen). To be able to listen that music on your laptop, you need to use
> some media player that can play network stream, just as you would do
> with internet radio station.

It seams that there is actually a way to use only GMPC (kinda, as you
still need mplayer installed):
http://blog.sarine.nl/2011/02/06/gmpcmpdssh-listen-to-your-music-from-home-at-work/

You don't need that ssh port forwarding to make it work, but if you
don't limit mpd http port to your laptop's address, anyone could capture
that stream. Not really a issue if it's on your local network.

I haven't tried this and it's a little old article, but I guess it will
work.

Regards,
PO