Re: CUPS set-up for the 0.01%

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 00:12:22 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> For the moment forget about what the client machine can or cannot do and
> forget about connecting the printer over the network to the server. These
> things can be sorted out later.
>
> Using USB plug the printer into the server. Set up the printer from the
> web interface at localhost:631 and report on whether you can print from
> the server. If you can print please post the cupsd.conf from the server
> as an attachment to your next mail.

I can't print.

I get a "sending data to printer", but nothing prints.

However at least CUPS is now telling me the right thing.

Manage printers does say there is a printer located at the USB port, and it seems to be connected to it.

lpinfo

network http
network lpd
network ipps
network https
network socket
network ipp
network beh
network smb
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct usb://Brother/DCP-8110DN?serial=U63084E2N134076

it's amazing how hard it is to change settings.  i just tried to set the default paper size and I absolutely cannot make cups remember the setting...

CUPS is not my friend.

Brian