Re: Moving from 56k modem

On Friday 19 June 2015 11:01:25 Reco wrote:

> Hi.

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 09:13:42AM +0200, Frederic Marchal wrote:

> > On Friday 19 June 2015 09:24:34 Reco wrote:

> > > A *very* simplistic howto follows:

> > > autossh -ND1080 <ur_home_here>

> > > <set iceweasel's proxy to socks4 proxy localhost:1080>

> > With iceweasel/firefox, don't forget to change

> > network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to true in about:config or the DNS

> > requests will be issued to the local DNS server.

> > See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.proxy.socks_remote_dns

> Please don't do so. Ssh only provides SOCKS4 proxy, and SOCKS4 can not

> tunnel DNS requests (or any UDP traffic for that matter).

According to ssh(1) manpage (see http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?ssh+1 or your local man 1 ssh), ssh -D supports SOCKS4 and SOCKS5.

I have been using that trick since Debian Squeeze.

Locally run, for instance:

ssh -N -D8880 user@remote.host.example.com

Set the proxy in firefox to "socks=127.0.0.1:8880", enable network.proxy.socks_remote_dns and surf while watching with wireshark or tcpdump the DNS requests sent on the network interface. I had no DNS requests going to the local DNS server. I was completely stealthy except for the amount of data exchanged with only one server :-).

I have been using http://www.proxy-offline-browser.com/ProxySwitch/ to easily switch between a direct connection and a ssh tunnel in iceweasel.

The ssh server must allow TCP forwarding (AllowTcpForwarding in sshd_config, globally or on a per user basis) but, due to -N, you don't even need a login shell on the remote server and your tunnel won't register in /var/log/auth.log on the server.

BTW, if AllowTCPForwarding is enabled on a server where mysql is installed without a root password because it is only listening on 127.0.0.1, then anyone with a valid account (for sftp for instance) can open a ssh tunnel to access mysql running on the server:

ssh -L12000:localhost:3360 user@remote.server.example.com

Then it is easy to open a mysql client to local port 12000 as root and connect to the remote mysql server. Keep that in check when enabling TCP forwarding on a ssh server!

Frederic