Re: Dlna client and backup

On 15-06-19 10:01 AM, Petter Adsen wrote:
>> > Just two quick question I hope to get help one.
>> >
>> > I've spent now weeks putting installing Jessie and solving problems.
>> > It makes sense to find a good backup and restore program. Ideally,
>> > something that I can use to back up the entire system to a NAS and
>> > restore a broken system from the NAS. And following restoration; all
>> > will be good as new. Any ideas?
> I use backintime - it uses rsync to actually make the backups, so it's
> easy to traverse the backup tree and restore a specific version of a
> file that you want. It has frontends for Qt and GTK, and sets up cron
> jobs for automated backups. YMMV, I like it.
Thanks a lot. I will give this a try. But to be clear, would this backup
the entire system and restore it, in the event of a crash of something
going horribly wrong? I'm hoping it to be like the Time Machine for
linux; is that what it does?

>> > Also, any ideas on a functioning dlna client. I've spent weeks on
>> > this...lots of servers out there but no client being developed. Most
>> > of the ones mentioned in wikipedia don't even exist anymore.
> I'm pretty sure Kodi (used to be called XBMC) can play from DLNA
> sources, although I simply export via NFS now. It's a great client
> with a ton of functionality, and it can also act as a DLNA server. You
> can also set up a shared MySQL database so that all metadata is shared
> between several clients.
Thanks also for this. I knew about XMBC and also about its rename. But
I'm only interested in a client. I know as far as servers go, this is
perhaps the best. And I like a lot of the new things they've done to it.
But this is a laptop from which I want to listen to music on NAS while I
work. XMBC is too much for this purpose.

Could you please explain more what you do now, exporting via NFS?