Re: Moving from 56k modem

On Friday 19 June 2015 09:24:34 Reco wrote:

> Hi.

> On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:20:25 -0500

> Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> > Mike McClain wrote:

> > > When CBS 60 Minutes (or was it Sunday Morning?) did an article on

> > > security on airlines, trains, etc. They suggested setting up a VPN on

> > > your system.

> > > Mike

> > A pointer to an appropriate how-to and .deb in Jessie repository?

> A *very* simplistic howto follows:

> autossh -ND1080 <ur_home_here>

> <set iceweasel's proxy to socks4 proxy localhost:1080>

With iceweasel/firefox, don't forget to change network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to true in about:config or the DNS requests will be issued to the local DNS server.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.proxy.socks_remote_dns

If the DNS requests are sent to the local DNS server provided by the DHCP of an access point, the AP administrator can get an exhaustive list of every single web site you visit simply by looking at the DNS requests comming from your computer. The data are still secure thanks to the vpn but it is very easy to get a good idea about the kind of activity you are having at the moment (I'm adopting the employer's point of view here :-) ).

When network.proxy.socks_remote_dns is set to true, the DNS requests are sent through the SOCKS connection and delivered to your computer at home (which ultimately is sent to your ISP but you already thrust it with that information any way, don't you?)

Frederic