Re: Problems with 32 bit Jessie and Mate DE

On 2015-06-17, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

>> > That worked - it took effect after a reboot.
>>
>> That's strange; I always thought you had to set the hardware clock
>> (hwclock) for the modified date and time to survive a reboot.
>
> After a reboot I am sure the boot time hwclock set the time.  The
> system time set by date evaporates when the system shuts down.  System
> time is not preserved across reboots.  But at boot time the boot time
> script /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh sets the time from the hardware clock.

The OP set the time and date with 'date' and said it 'worked' after a
reboot; this puzzled me and puzzles me still.  There must be a
misapprehension somewhere.

> Best is to install ntp and have it set the time from the network at
> boot time.
>
>   apt-get install ntp

This was the best option before systemd, but now for some (desktop
stand-alone guys and gals) it seems like systemd-timesyncd might be the
better choice (implements only the client-side, lower overhead,
eliminates the need of installing an extraneous program).

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-timesyncd