Re: Problems with 32 bit Jessie and Mate DE

On 16/06/15 19:08, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I just did a clean install of Jessie w Mate DE

Note all the examples below assume you have sudo enabled (the default if
you left the root password prompts blank during installation) and that
you're logged in as the initial user or another one set up with sudo
privileges.

Give them a go and post back if they throw up permissions errors.

> 1. How do I use file manager with root privileges?

The file manager in MATE is 'caja', so...

There are two ways to achieve this:

A) open up a terminal, and type:

   sudo caja

or
   sudo caja "/path/to/required/directory"

at the prompt, followed by enter.

OR

B) Install the package 'caja-gksu'

   sudo apt-get install caja-gksu

log out and back in, and when you right-click a folder on the desktop or
in the file manager you should see an option to open it as root.

> 2. How do I manually (no network physically available) reset the clock?

At a terminal:

   sudo date MMDDhhmmCCYY

that's MMonth DDay, hhour, mminute, CCentury, YYear

For example, to set the time and date to 15:00 on 1st February 2014:

   sudo date 020115002014

See
   man date

for further details and options.