Re: I upgraded from jessie to stretch and messed up I used the dist-upgrade command....

On 16 June 2015 at 21:40, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
On 2015-06-16 21:41 +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Michael Fothergill wrote:
>>     (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
>
> Note that it will log errors with EE at the front.  This is where the
> errors start:
>
>> [    15.104] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.

Was this log file generated while booting in recovery mode?

You are correct.  I was booting in recovery mode as root.​

Then it's
expected, otherwise there is a problem.

>> [    15.105] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>> [    15.105]     compiled for 1.17.1, module version = 1.0.0
>> [    15.105]     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 19.0
>> [    15.105] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
>> [    15.105] (EE) VESA(0): Cannot read int vect
>> [    15.105] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
>> [    15.105] (II) UnloadSubModule: "int10"
>> [    15.105] (II) Unloading int10
>> [    15.105] (II) UnloadSubModule: "vbe"
>> [    15.105] (II) Unloading vbe
>> [    15.105] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> "Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration."  I have many
> times seen and dreaded that message.
>
> I can't decode the above into the root cause of the problem.
> Hopefully someone else will be able to do so.  Does anyone else on
> this list have any hints here?

I'm afraid this bug makes the vesa driver currently unusable. :-(

> I fear the problem is the newer Linux KMS and DRM interfaces which
> obsoleted a lot of hardware.  I have been hit by that problem myself.
> Whereas older kernels worked perfectly supporting the hardware newer
> kernels have dropped support and broken my systems.

Please report this as bugs, the kernel is not supposed to obsolete
hardware which people still have.

​I am using a Kaveri box - it is a new architecture and this could be a problem.​

> I suggest booting one of the previous kernels and seeing if that
> helps.

Ahem, the Xorg.0.log file shows that Micheal was booting an old and
unsupported 3.14 kernel, so this can already be ruled out.

> If not then try the newest kernel available, possibly a
> backports kernel.  If not then I suggest trying to boot with the
> kernel command line option "nomodeset" and see if it improves things.

Booting in recovery mode already implies "nomodeset", and the Xorg.0.log
file shows a complaint from the radeon module that KMS is not supported.

> Plus any better hints that others might supply.

Seeing an Xorg.0.log file from a normal boot would be good, plus the
complete dmesg output.

If I try to do a normal boot then the OS tries to fire up Xorg and fails and I just get a blank screen with a cursor.

ctrl C etc does not seem to drop down a command line interface etc.

​The only booting that seems to work properly is the recovery boot as root.​

Cheers,
       Sven

Thanks MF​