Re: I upgraded from jessie to stretch and messed up I used the dist-upgrade command....

Michael Fothergill wrote:
> I changed from jessie to stretch in my sources.list file and then did

Testing is a development track.  It isn't released.  Welcome to the
process of making the release.  Remember that when running Testing or
Unstable that you are part of the development process.  You will see
and live every bug that slips through.

> But then I decided to try aptitude dist-upgrade afterward.
>
> That wanted to rehash the xorg-server video package and after doing it when
> I boot up the window manager does not start up.
> What sort of output that I could get in recovery mode (eg var log files
> dmesg output) would be useful to help fix this?

What errors are seen in /var/log/Xorg.0.log file?

Check /var/log/dpkg.log for a trace of what was installed previously
and what was removed and what was recently installed.  I think it
likely your xserver driver was removed due to a conflict.  Figure out
what had been running and install it again.

If the current Testing no longer contains the right combination of
packages for your xserver then look up the previous version of the
packages on http://snapshot.debian.org/ where all package versions are
archived.  You can undo the recent installation and downgrade revert
to the previous packages from there.

> I can boot in recovery mode but if I do that as root if I run aptitude it
> doesn't download packages - I think there is no internet connection being
> made.

That makes me think you are running NetworkManager.  By default it
seems to want the desktop user to start networking.

Try using the network manage command line client to start networking.
I can't suggest a command as I am not running NetworkManager (due to
problems such as these) and therefore don't know the command line to
suggest.  Others may be able to help better.

Bob