Re: systemd equivalent

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:

No, systemd is not supposed to replace standard system utilities.

I have never believed nor claimed that it was thus "supposed" to be anything of the sort. I framed a query about it, and various subscribers read into that what they wished.

(Also sysctl is a completely unrelated tool to configure kernel parameters; the systemd utility is systemctl.)

Ah. My bad. Thank you.

However if you configure your ssh tunnel as a service that systemd manages, then you can query systemd about its state via systemctl or directly via systemd's DBus interface:

 Is the service running?
   systemctl is-active my-tunnel

 What is the services main process' PID?
   systemctl -pMainPID show my-tunnel

Thank you.

Note that there is also a per-user instance of systemd to allow regular users to use systemd to manage their own services if they choose to do so. Not everything has to be a system service.

Thank you again. How I love simple facts.

I have suspected all along that my destination was very likely configuring my tunnel via systemd, and perhaps even building in thereby some stay-alive capacity for said tunnel.

--
These are not the droids you are looking for.