Re: systemd equivalent

On Saturday 13 June 2015 22:52:22 Bob Bernstein wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Brian wrote:

> > You don't mean that, do you? After all, you do use

> > its functionality for booting. :)

> Thanks for that. You may be right.

> BUT...hrrrmmm...just to show that I can be as

> reasonable as the next fellow, allow me to ask if

> perhaps there was something actually helpful you

> wanted to mention here. I know how under the pressure

> of composing a post to a list things can slip one's

> mind.

I'm thinking the same thing as Brian when I read your posts. I may be able to formulate his point of view differently.

Why do you thing systemd has a way of doing everything other tools are designed for?

In that instance, ps is designed to report active tasks. And that's just what your ssh tunnel is. It is a child process started by the ssh service started by systemd.

Even if the top ssh service was started by systemd, it doesn't mean systemd has to provide every possible tool to keep track of everything the service might do (thankfully for that I would add!).

You may be lured by the fact that systemd is responsible for the system journal. As a consequence, it does provide the tool to show the system log but every child process isn't registered in the log (or it might with the proper output level if the service support it but that's not the point here).

Hope it helps,

Frederic