Re: systemd equivalent

On Sat 13 Jun 2015 at 16:35:39 -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
>
> >Not sure I follow, why would you use a different way to list
> >processes just because you're using systemd?
>
> Well, the thing is, I am so gunshy about systemd that I am _not_
> using its functionality for anything right now!

You don't mean that, do you? After all, you do use its functionality for
booting. :)

> SO, I thought I might coax myself into using it by finding
> substitutes for tried-and-true unix commands, such as 'ps ax|grep
> [something].
>
> But it turns out I haven't yet found a way to do that, that is,
> replicate (more or less) the output of 'ps ax| grep ssh' using
> sysctl commands. They don't seem to register, as it were, my ssh
> tunnel.

systemctl is about *control* of the system. ps is about giving a
*report* on the current pocesses. Coercing either one into doing the
job of the other seems doomed to failure.

> I wonder if this is a problem with ownership, i.e if by default
> sysctl will not consider processes started by non-system users, i.e.
> what we used to call "ordinary users." I start my ssh tunnels as
> such a user, not as root or anything else fancy-schmancy.

The problem lies outside the province of the software.

> But then on my system it appears only root can launch sysctl.
> Hrrrmmmm.

If the command 'systemctl' gives no output you have a system problem.