Re: No grub screen or boot after upgrade to jessie [FIXED]

I have managed to make my system bootable by installing LILO.  Could
somebody let me know if this is likely to be obsoleted any time?  I
haven't received any indication that it will be.

Have you explored the new bios settings? If we can assume it is a real working update, you might have some options you didn't have before. Since you had to resort to Lilo, maybe during the initial install setup the bootable flag wasn't set?? Trouble shooting with a shotgun here. :) Ric

There aren't a lot of things that can be changed in the bios and I've tried most of them.

(Excuse ignorance) How do you display whether a partition is bootable? It used to be easy with cfdisk, but I can't find the option in gdisk or the newer fdisk.

I had the same problem when I did a clean install of debian (using default settings). Presumably this would have automatically set up the partitions properly.

Are there any objections to continuing to use LILO? - I realise that you need to remember to run it before upgrading the kernel, but apt-get seems to do that automatically.