Jessie failed installation woes

I'm a long-time Debian user and this system (Wheezy) is result of at least 3 dist-upgrades (as well as motherboard upgrades). Last dist-upgrade was not completely successful, so I thought to do a new install of Jessie, onto a second hard drive. Since the current motherboard is AMD FX 64bit capable I tried a couple of AMD64 Live CDs as tasters, since I had some trouble getting the onboard ethernet going in Wheezy i686.

Live CDs find the MPC61 ethernet and get me onto the network.
Install DVDs find the MCP61 ethernet BUT can't get onto network.

After deciding to not configure the network, installation continued until the reboot at the end - that hung the machine.

Installation was on second drive, and grub was installed to the MBR of that drive. Restart dropped me into grub rescue mode with the message about normal.mod not being found. After mounting the drive in Wheezy, I find that the directory that normal.mod is supposed to be in, is not there. There are only 2 files in /boot/grub - vastly different from the grub 1.99 of Wheezy!

Note that I mentioned 'Install DVDs' above. I gave up on the AMD64 and tried i686 flavour - same problem!

I have copied all files from the missing directory (found on install CD & renamed the directory), and now trying to boot from that disc reboots the machine!

I am thankful I kept the Jessie install away from the working Wheezy!

What can I do now?

Bruce
--
Bruce Ward, Nelson, New Zealand