Re: su chmod -755 /usr

Julian Brooks wrote:
> Cheers Bob :)
>
> Uuummm  - work files yes, system configs/settings not really.
>
> Any top tips, like where are the permission file/s?

I think you are asking what backup software would be recommended?
There are many different ones.  Let me point to a reference.

  https://wiki.debian.org/BackupAndRecovery

Personally I always used to use rsync scripts for years.  These days I
am enjoying using BackupPC.  But isn't to say that amanda or bacula or
any of the others are not good too.  They are all the same and all
different.

But you ask about permission files.  I think perhaps I wasn't clear
enough.  For example I could run 'find' down the backup tree and print
the file modes of the files there.

  cd /path/to/backup
  find . -type l -prune -o -printf "chmod %m %p\n"

There are no whitespace in most files in /usr and therefore the above
would print out a series of commands such as:

  chmod 755 .
  chmod 755 ./bin
  chmod 755 ./bin/vnc4server
  chmod 755 ./bin/xkbevd
  chmod 755 ./bin/pavucontrol
  chmod 755 ./bin/sg_dd
  chmod 755 ./bin/glxgears
  chmod 755 ./bin/sensors-conf-convert
  chmod 755 ./bin/etags.emacs24
  chmod 755 ./bin/qemu-armeb
  chmod 4755 ./bin/sudo
  chmod 2755 ./games/hack

Could then inspect the output for anything strange such as whitespace
in filenames.  Then run it as a script, perhaps after editing it.

Bob