Re: wget fails in Debian Jessie

Reco wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > That use of socat was clever.  I didn't like the pkill socat though.
> > Wouldn't be good if there were another one running at the same time.
>
> Yes, there's a room for an improvement. Presumably socat can write own
> pid to a user-specified pidfile, but I was lazy to check a manpage.

I don't think socat does.  But one can use start-stop-daemon to manage
things for you.  The /etc/init.d/rsync file contains an example of
doing such using --make-pidfile and so forth.

> > Some time ago Reco and I were discussing this and Reco noted that curl
> > uses openssl while wget uses gnutls.  That was Reco's reason for
> > prefering curl over wget at that time.
> >
> >   https://lists.debian.org/20150409082351.GA24040@x101h
>
> And as the current discussion shows - those reasons are still valid.

Yes.  I was just keeping neutral in the debate.  I note the problem,
and agree it is a problem, and hope that gnutls improves.

My own problem with gnutls is that it seems it requires *all* of the
certificate chains to verify valid instead of *any* of them.  Meaning
that some sites that only include a valid certificate chain for one
path but have at least one path not fully valid will fail the wget
gnutls test but will work with a web browser and (apparently) libnss.
That isn't nice either.

> > Which might be different behavior from web
> > browsers as most web browsers use openssl.
>
> A minor nitpick here.
>
> Iceweasel/Firefox use libnss, not openssl.
> Chrome/Chromium use libnss.
> Anything based on webkit-gtk actually uses gnutls.
> I'm unsure about webkit-qt, though.
>
> About the only browser that actually uses openssl I can remember is w3m.

Good update.  I hadn't internalized that the web browsers used libnss
instead of openssl.  Thanks!

Bob