Re: wget fails in Debian Jessie

Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> Reco wrote:
> > Don't depend on curl. Use good old socat combined with wget:

That use of socat was clever.  I didn't like the pkill socat though.
Wouldn't be good if there were another one running at the same time.

> Why?  The -L option in curl did the trick.  Is there some
> over-riding reason why I should use wget instead of curl?  Curl
> windsup being simpler and faster in this case.

Some time ago Reco and I were discussing this and Reco noted that curl
uses openssl while wget uses gnutls.  That was Reco's reason for
prefering curl over wget at that time.

  https://lists.debian.org/20150409082351.GA24040@x101h

That is a difference that causes problems and is probably related to
the problem you just experienced.  This doesn't play into plain http
connections.  But for https gnutls and openssl have different
behavior.  They shouldn't.  But they do.  Therefore the suggestion
away from wget is really a suggestion away from gnutls and over to the
more time proven openssl used by curl.

However recently in Unstable and therefore Stretch Testing curl
changed from openssl over to gnutls too.  Jessie is already released
and this doesn't change Jessie or earlier releases.

    http://bugs.debian.org/342719

So in the future if that is maintained both curl and wget will have
the same gnutls behavior.  Which might be different behavior from web
browsers as most web browsers use openssl.  I am not sure which side
to cheer for as I would like both to work.  Security benefits from
having independent implementations.

Bob