Re: Nvidia vs AMD open source drivers

On 11/06/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:02:38 +0200
> Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > As longs as you don't spend your time staring at benchmarks, the
>> > stuff works and it is getting better all the time. Especially when
>> > people spend their time actually using and supporting it.
>> >
>> > I have no trouble believing that we can use free drivers for pretty
>> > much anything soon. Part of the problem has been that developers are
>> > favouring Nvidia, instead targeting more open standards like OpenCL.
>> >
>> > Sure, there are a few cases, like dual-GPU, multi-screen GL, that's
>> > not supported, and might not be, but those are corner cases.
>> >
>> > If proprietary Nvidia works for you, and if that is the best choice
>> > for the OP, I'm glad it's an option, but we need free drivers, and
>> > for most users it's a very good experience.
>> >

>> Thanks a lot for your answers. I can not use intel because the
>> provider of our company only proposes AMD or NVIDIA for the
>> workstations.
>
> If you use an Intel CPU from recent years, you already have one.
> Discrete Intel graphics cards do not exist.
>
>> I do not need a very fancy graphic card, I need something that works.
>> I will proabably buy AMD as it seems to work well with the open source
>> drivers.
>
> AMD does work very well with the open source radeon driver, at least in
> my experience. It has been very stable, except for a few bugs in early
> 4.x kernels. Make sure you get a card that is well supported. That
> probably means not buying a model that has only very recently hit the
> market, but go for something that has been out a while and is known
> good.
>
> If you don't need much 3D acceleration, something as lowly as a HD5450
> is still a great, stable card for desktop usage that draws little power
> compared to many newer cards. Mine runs a bit hot, but that might be
> because it drives two screens.
>
> Petter

And meanwhile, after about a year and a half, I still can't get my
nvidia thing (GEForce GT750M) working with Debian.

After having installed the nvidia manufacturer's driver, it rendered
xwindows inoperable.

I am beginning to regard nvidia as plague-like.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."