Re: Nvidia vs AMD open source drivers

On 06/10/2015 03:01 AM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 18:01 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
Which open source driver is better Nouveau or AMD open source driver?
It ALL depends on your needs. If you want gaming, or multi-card/monitor
support, with all the goodies turned on, you'll want the real drivers.
If you are just doing email, web browsing, Hunt The Wumpus, and office
stuff, then the open source drivers are just fine, unless you get
flickering and tearing.

That's actually not true. At least with AMD and (the latest Intel) it's
very much possible to play most games.

In fact, you're likely to get a much, much better experience overall
with the free stuff.

OK, for some cases ~it works~, but not ~all~ cases. So, enough with the warm fuzzies, here's actual benchmark comparison.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_nouveau_utopic&num=1

As of October last year, the nvidia supplied driver runs about 6 times faster than Nouveau. I run 3 different 3D environment test server/clients. Imagine that stretched across 4 monitors via 2 video cards and still get acceptable performance, with all of the bells and whistles turned on. Sweet ...and running under Linux.

And here is a test run 5 days ago, between Intel, AMD and nVidia using only libre drivers. For a change AMD ran the wheels off of nVidia with Intel slinking in the corner.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=phx-open-11&num=1

Last benchmark, comparing video cards with native drivers on Linux. This time nVidia mostly ran the wheels off of AMD. Intel still ain't equal to either by a long shot. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdnv-phoronix-11&num=1 <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdnv-phoronix-11&num=2>

So, in summary, I've always used nvidia as it's the same money as AMD and Intel and is generally always faster with the nvidia drivers. So, while many will piffle and claim to not be a gamer, what about video editing? 3D Immersive education? Think you might want to do that at some point in your life?? I'm all about Open Source. But, I'm not about deliberate trashing of expensive hardware "for the cause". Nor do I recommend it. " Be ALL that you can be." :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html