Re: Nvidia vs AMD open source drivers

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 20:02:38 +0200
Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 04:45 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> >> OK, for some cases ~it works~, but not ~all~ cases. So, enough
> >> with the warm fuzzies, here's actual benchmark comparison.
> >>
> >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_nouveau_utopic&num=1
> >>
> >> As of October last year, the nvidia supplied driver runs about 6
> >> times faster than Nouveau. I run 3 different 3D environment test
> >> server/clients. Imagine that stretched across 4 monitors via 2
> >> video cards and still get acceptable performance, with all of the
> >> bells and whistles turned on. Sweet ...and running under Linux.
> >>
> >> And here is a test run 5 days ago, between Intel, AMD and nVidia
> >> using only libre drivers. For a change  AMD ran the wheels off of
> >> nVidia with Intel slinking in the corner.
> >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=phx-open-11&num=1
> >>
> >> Last benchmark, comparing video cards with native drivers on
> >> Linux. This time nVidia mostly ran the wheels off of AMD. Intel
> >> still ain't equal to either by a long shot.
> >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdnv-phoronix-11&num=1
> >> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdnv-phoronix-11&num=2>
> >>
> >> So, in summary, I've always used nvidia as it's the same money as
> >> AMD and Intel and is generally always faster with the nvidia
> >> drivers. So, while many will piffle and claim to not be a gamer,
> >> what about video editing? 3D Immersive education? Think you might
> >> want to do that at some point in your life?? I'm all about Open
> >> Source. But, I'm not about deliberate trashing of expensive
> >> hardware "for the cause". Nor do I recommend it. " Be ALL that you
> >> can be." :) Ric
> >
> > As longs as you don't spend your time staring at benchmarks, the
> > stuff works and it is getting better all the time. Especially when
> > people spend their time actually using and supporting it.
> >
> > I have no trouble believing that we can use free drivers for pretty
> > much anything soon. Part of the problem has been that developers are
> > favouring Nvidia, instead targeting more open standards like OpenCL.
> >
> > Sure, there are a few cases, like dual-GPU, multi-screen GL, that's
> > not supported, and might not be, but those are corner cases.
> >
> > If proprietary Nvidia works for you, and if that is the best choice
> > for the OP, I'm glad it's an option, but we need free drivers, and
> > for most users it's a very good experience.
> >

> Thanks a lot for your answers. I can not use intel because the
> provider of our company only proposes AMD or NVIDIA for the
> workstations.

If you use an Intel CPU from recent years, you already have one.
Discrete Intel graphics cards do not exist.

> I do not need a very fancy graphic card, I need something that works.
> I will proabably buy AMD as it seems to work well with the open source
> drivers.

AMD does work very well with the open source radeon driver, at least in
my experience. It has been very stable, except for a few bugs in early
4.x kernels. Make sure you get a card that is well supported. That
probably means not buying a model that has only very recently hit the
market, but go for something that has been out a while and is known
good.

If you don't need much 3D acceleration, something as lowly as a HD5450
is still a great, stable card for desktop usage that draws little power
compared to many newer cards. Mine runs a bit hot, but that might be
because it drives two screens.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"