Re: unable to modify umask settings in wheezy 7.8

Fekete Tamás wrote:
> I use wheezy 7.8 on x86_64 architecture and I'm simply unable to modify the
>  umask settings of the system. I have read many webpages for solution (even
>  helps specified for debian) but didn't find the answer what to do.
>
> Now, my umask is the default umask: 0022. I want it to be 0077.

Wow.  That is very restrictive.  Are you sure you need such setting?

> I took two steps to modify this variable. The first that I have edit
> /etc/login defs. I rewrite the UMASK part of the file to look like this:
> UMASK 077

Much chaos exists surrounding how to set umask by the system for
users.  In Etch 4 there was major changes.  In Squeeze 6 there were
more changes.  Therefore one must be careful looking at documentation
to make sure the docs match the version of Debian they are currently
using.  /etc/login.defs is the old Debian way from before Etch 4.

With varying age and applicability here is a collection of references
through time in Debian that I have collected apply on umask.

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopHowTo

> My second step was to edit /etc/pam.d/common-session. I add a last line to
> the:
> #and here are moe per-package modules part of the file. The line is looking
> like this:
> session optional pam_umask.so umask = 0077

Are there really spaces around the equals sign?  I believe that needs
to be passed as one argument.

  session optional pam_umask.so umask=0077

> The umask settings are not modified even if I am in gnome, or in normal
> shell.
> If you have any advice or good knowledge what is still missing to work,
> please share!

I haven't updated this for either Wheezy or Jessie so beware that I
might be stale but my latest notes on setting umask say add this to
the /etc/pam.d/common-session file:

  session optional pam_umask.so umask=002

Most people normally want 02 for general use.  If you want 077 that is
okay but not for general purpose use.

Bob