unable to modify umask settings in wheezy 7.8

Hello everyone,

I use wheezy 7.8 on x86_64 architecture and I'm simply unable to modify the
 umask settings of the system. I have read many webpages for solution (even
 helps specified for debian) but didn't find the answer what to do.

Now, my umask is the default umask: 0022. I want it to be 0077.

I took two steps to modify this variable. The first that I have edit
/etc/login defs. I rewrite the UMASK part of the file to look like this:
UMASK 077

My second step was to edit /etc/pam.d/common-session. I add a last line to the:
#and here are moe per-package modules part of the file. The line is looking like
 this:
session optional pam_umask.so umask = 0077

The umask settings are not modified even if I am in gnome, or in normal shell.
If you have any advice or good knowledge what is still missing to work, please
share!