Re: adding network printer

On 20150609_1553+0200, notoneofmy wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I have spent hours on this, including the debian website.
>
> I have installed CUPS and have done "apt-cache policy printer-driver all."
>
> I used localhost/631 to add the printer and I'm on Jessie with xfce.
>
> and so the uri for the wired canon printer is lpd: // (ip)/queue
>
> I can ping the printer's ip and get a response, using the machine with
> Jessie.
>
> But all print jobs sent produce different errors, from "the printer is
> in use" to "not connected."
>
> I have checked /etc/cups/printers.conf file to ensure the uri is correct.
>
> I'm really upset. If you can help, this would be great.

I am not an expert. I had a similar situation recently. I also was
having trouble getting sound working. While working on sound, I made
the irrational decision to try using Mate. I tried Mate for a while,
but did not purge Xfce.

Looking for clues in a different debugging/gui environment can make
you notice things that you had not noticed before. Some things that
you try can actually make the problem worse. Others give misleading
information. Cups likes to remember things that are useless, and
wrong. Be careful what you do try. My system is working now, both
sound and Cups. The best I can offer is the suspicion that installing
task-Mate, brought in some packages that were necessary for both
problems, but were not installed by using task-xfce alone.

Yes its
crazy. YMMV

Best regards.
--