Re: I upgraded from jessie to stretch and messed up I used the dist-upgrade command....

On Monday 08 June 2015 17:36:36 Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debian Folks,
>
> I changed from jessie to stretch in my sources.list file and then did
> aptitude safe-upgrade.
>
> It worked OK or so it seemed.
>
> But then I decided to try aptitude dist-upgrade afterward.
>
> That wanted to rehash the xorg-server video package and after doing it when
> I boot up the window manager does not start up.
>
> I can boot in recovery mode but if I do that as root if I run aptitude it
> doesn't download packages - I think there is no internet connection being
> made.
>
> What sort of output that I could get in recovery mode (eg var log files
> dmesg output) would be useful to help fix this?

Wait a few days (or however long it takes) for Stretch to sort it out, then
full-upgrade again??  I gather it doesn't usually take long!  Meanwhile work
at the CLI?

I like Testing to settle down a bit before I change over.  ;-)  But throughout
its life until it becomes Stable, it *is* Testing.  This sort of thing
happens.

Lisi