changing from BIOS to GPT

I have a computer that was set up with an the older style partition table and wanted to convert it to GPT. Since the first partition started at 2048, I figured this wouldn't be a problem. Just use gdisk to write a new partition table after stealing some space from swap for an EFI boot partition. Then reconfigure grub...

The HD originally had all 250G dedicated to Windows 7/Pro 64 (the way I got it - not my choice). I shrunk that down to the smallest Windows would allow - 137G - and created new Linux and Swap partitions that I installed Jessie to. These were extended partitions that gdisk converted to primary (it displays them as primary but with the original numbers).

Now I don't even to get a grub rescue prompt. I've tried reinstalling grub in a chroot after booting with system rescue cd but that didn't work. I've reinstalled grub to /dev/sda but again without success. Update-grub sees the partitions but doesn't give me a bootable system.

BTW: Grub is the grub-efi-amd64 package.

At one point I did get it to boot after using F12 to bring up a boot menu and booting from the first HD, but I haven't been able to repeat that.

I'm running Jessie/64.

Any ideas?