Re: Jessie Mate - a GUI user admin tool?

Quoting Chris Bannister (cbannister@slingshot.co.nz):
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 10:11:35AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > That at least got me the menu items I was looking for.
> > I'm about to do a reinstall from scratch for other problems. More later.
>
> The great thing about Debian, is that you *don't* have to do a
> reinstall. What problem are you having that makes you think you need to
> reinstall?

Well I install on my other partition (ie flipping back and forth)
because I don't backup my system. (I only backup any configuration
files that I modify.)

Therefore I need to know that I can reinstall the system from scratch
and that I have any and all of the packages that I preserve from
version to version (xtoolwait springs to mind because this hasn't been
supported since squeeze).

Also I need to know that I can install non-Debian/non-free stuff which
was previously installed when the system was in an earlier state.

The fresh install then becomes my default system, though I upgrade the
other partition occasionally.

At the moment I'm stuck with a single jessie installation because I
can't yet afford to part with wheezy on the other partition. I would
like to see if jessie will run as fast as wheezy if I install it
afresh in an ext4 partition (though I fear the worst).

Cheers,
David.