Re: Jessie Mate - a GUI user admin tool?

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 02:14:36 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> With Gnome2 under Squeeze there was a users administration tool under
> System->Administration->Users and Groups .
>
> Is there such a tool available for Mate under Jessie?

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but you could have a look at
webmin - it's not included in the repos, but webmin.com has a repo for
Debian that you can use.

It does this, and a lot of other stuff also. I find it useful for
setting up packages and services that I'm not familiar with, since you
can make the changes in the webmin UI and then see what has changed in
the config files.

They also have a package called usermin that is used for setting up
per-user stuff, although I haven't used that much.

Or, closer to what you actually wanted, you could take a look at the
package "kuser". Obviously, it's intended for use with KDE, so it will
drag in some KDE/Qt libraries if you do not already have them. I
couldn't find any such tools for GTK with apt-cache right now.

Ubuntu has/had GTK tools for this, I think, maybe it's possible to grab
those and use them on Jessie? No idea what the package is called,
though.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"