Re: Jessie - Mate - LibreOffice Need larger fonts everywhere

Mark Allums wrote:
On 06/01/2015 03:23 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I just installed Jessie with Mate DE.
I had no trouble setting font size for menu-bars/drop down
menus/etc.
I wish to use LibreOffice Calc.
Two problems:
   1. I need the text of Help Screens to be large enough to read.
   2. I want to force a specific default Font Family and Font
      Size for cells on*ALL* spreadsheets. I can set for specific
      region of current spreadsheet only.

Secondary question:
Any way to force minimum Font Size for any operator input
independent of application?

If you have a high-res monitor with a high pixel density, you
need to tell your desktop manager about it.

I don't have THAT particular problem ;/ I'm using a Lenovo R61 laptop. The Debian Installer chose appropriate pixel density. My problem is being of tri-focal wearing generation.

It will be hidden in
preferences, probably.  For MATE: System:Preference:Appearance,
Fonts Tab, look under Rendering, click Details. At the top will
be Resolution, in dots-per-inch.  My 27-inch, 1440p monitor needs
it set to 107 ppi.

Though not addressing my problem, that served as a very useful diagnostic tool. I found that increasing DPI by ~50% made LibreOffice's help text comfortably viewable.

All this caused me to change my search criteria to discover https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Faq/General/020 which says:
"
The visual appearance of the online help is managed by a configuration file,
 depending on version:
     <LibO_installation>/Basis/help/en/defaut.css.
 or
     <LibO_installation>/help/en/defaut.css.

You can change the font family, size, color and lines in this file. Save the
  modified file and restart LibO (included the Quickstarter).
"

For my installation of Debian 8.0 the file is:
    /usr/share/libreoffice/help/en-US/default.css

Now that Help is legible, that leaves me only to discover how to force default font size for *content* of all spreadsheet cells to a suitable value.

If you use Gnome 2 or 3, there is a similar setting.  Other
Window managers and desktops probably have a similar setting.

This will not solve all such problems, but most apps will look
better at the correct ppi density.

Mark